A Visit with Miss Nightingale
Come and meet Miss Nightingale in our popular workshop!
Discover the story of ‘The Lady with the Lamp’, why she went to the Crimea, how she improved conditions for the soldiers and nurses and what happened as a result of her work.
The session begins with an interactive performance by the museum’s own ‘Florence Nightingale’ describing her life and work. This is then followed by self-directed activities in the museum.
From January 2020 we will be offering two types of session:
Standard session: This starts with the performance, then moves on to scheduled time around the museum, with activities based on the objects you will see.
Highlights: The main focus of this session is the performance, with a brief look around the museum.
|Session length||1 hour and 45 minutes||1 hour|
|Timings||10.15-12.00 or 12.15-14.00||10.15-11.15, 11.30-12.30 or 13.00-14.00|
Each session includes museum entry and workshop for up to 30 children and up to 6 accompanying adults, excluding SEN 1:1 support. Please note that we require a ratio of 1:5.
- KS1 History – The lives of significant individuals in the past, who have contributed to national and international achievements
- KS1 History – Significant historical events, people and places in their own locality
- KS1 Maths – Interpret and construct simple pictograms, tally charts, block diagrams and simple tables
- KS1 and 2 English – All pupils should be enabled to participate in and gain knowledge, skills and understanding associated with the artistic practice of drama.
- To gain an understanding of why Florence Nightingale is famous and why we remember her.
- To gain an understanding of why Florence Nightingale went to the Crimean War and what it was like working at Scutari Hospital.
- To find out how Florence Nightingale improved conditions for the nurses and soldiers in the Crimean War.
- To find out why Florence Nightingale’s legacy is important and how nursing has changed since.
To book this session, please email Hannah with the following details:
- Your name and contact details
- School name
- Number of classes and class sizes
- Which session and session times you would like to book
If the dates you request are unavailable, we will try to offer the closest available dates. A date will be held for 2 working days, while we await the return of the booking form.
Once a booking form has been received by us from a school, a confirmation email will be sent out. After the confirmation has been sent, the cancellation policy applies.
Take a Florence souvenir home with you!
We have a selection of goody bag options available, ranging from £3 to £32, available in single or multiple quantities.
Goody bags can be pre-ordered for collection on your visit.
Please see our webshop (link on right) to see our range of goody bags. These can be ordered through your session booking form.