A Visit with Miss Nightingale (key stage one)
Come and meet Miss Nightingale in our popular Key Stage One workshop!
We are now taking bookings for 2019-2020. Book early to avoid disappointment!
Alternatively Florence Nightingale or Mary Seacole can visit your school - see Outreach visits.
Session times: Weekdays, 10:15am – 12:00pm or 12:15pm – 2:00pm
Cost per session: £210 (35 pupils max per session)
How to book: To book please e-mail Hannah@florence-nightingale.co.uk with three preferred dates or call 020 7188 4400.
Discover the story of the 'Lady with the Lamp', why she went to the Crimea, how she improved conditions for the soldiers and nurses and what happened as a result of her work.
The session begins with an interactive performance by the museum’s own ‘Florence Nightingale’ describing her life and work. This is followed by self-directed activities in the museum. At the end of the session, there will be an opportunity for some children to try on a Crimean nurse and a soldier's uniform.
- KS1 History: The lives of significant individuals in the past who have contributed to national and international achievements.
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in their own locality.
- To gain an understanding of why Florence Nightingale is famous and why we remember her.
- To gain an understanding of why Florence Nightingale went to the Crimea and what it was like working in the Crimean War.
- To find out how Florence Nightingale improved the conditions for nurses and soldiers in the Crimean War
- Toilets, coat hooks and bag storage/lockers are available onsite
- Clipboards and pencils can be provided
- There are no lunch facilities at the museum
- A small lunch area in the cafe at St Thomas’ Hospital and the hospital gardens can be used by visiting school group.
The Museum is fully accessible. The Museum is at ground level throughout and is suitable for wheelchairs. An accessible toilet is also available. Museum staff are happy to help you plan your visit to ensure that it meets your group’s needs.Travel information
For travel information please see