Gallery and Retail Assistant (2 days, permanent): The Florence Nightingale Museum:
Do you love liaising with customers, talking about social history and inspiring others to find out more about the past? If so ‘The Florence Nightingale Museum’ may have the perfect part-time job for you, as we are looking for a part time Gallery and Retail Assistant to join our team on Saturdays and one day during the week.
As we move towards Nightingale’s bi-centenary in 2020 we aim to put the visitor experience at the heart of all we do and this promises to be an exciting opportunity to get involved with a developing Museum. You will ideally have some experience of retail work and some experience of working with schools or families, but confidence in working with diverse visitors and the ability to learn quickly and demonstrate skills across a wide array of tasks is essential.
For more info:
Application is by CV and covering letter and should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on 15 April 2019. Interviews will be held on 18 April 2019. Candidates are asked to confirm in their application that they are available on Saturdays and one other day during the week.
1 or 2 4-hour shifts per week (min 3 months)
These are unpaid roles based at the Florence Nightingale Museum (travel Zone 1) but you should also be willing to work as required at outreach events across Lambeth borough. A regular pattern of working days is preferred with some degree of flexibility negotiable. It is preferred to work in a morning (09.00-13.00) or evening (13.00-17.00) shift. All volunteers are expected to undertake some basic object handling and public speaking training in week 1 and attend further training facilitated by the museum if required.
- Assist the Visitor Experience team by facilitating short 5 min introduction tours to visitors
- Facilitate object handling sessions with visitors (training will be provided by the museum)
- Assist the learning team in setting up and clearing away school sessions.
- Help the actor interpreter with greeting school groups and crowd control in the Gallery
- Support the learning team with the facilitation of holiday activities for families
- Meet and greet visitors
- Help the museum gain an insight of its audience by encouraging visitors to take part in visitor surveys
- Assist the retail team in promoting the museum guide book to visitors
- Occasionally usher at evening events and represent the museum at outreach events off-site
- Carrying out other visitor engagement activities as required on the day (training or briefing will be provided where necessary)
Applications are invited from anyone aged 18 or over who has a serious interest in supporting the Florence Nightingale Museum. You should be able to demonstrate an interest in museums. Your application should make clear why you are interested in volunteering at the Florence Nightingale Museum, what you feel you can bring to it and what you hope to learn from it.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Florence Nightingale Museum. Please remember to send your CV with your application form to Kristin Buhnemann at email@example.com
Would you like to write something for our museum Blog?
Our blog takes you behind the scenes at the Florence Nightingale Museum, giving fresh insight on everything from discoveries new and old in our collection, to exhibitions, events and learning initiatives. If you would like to get in touch about guest blogging or have any questions relating to the blog please email Holly Carter-Chappell.