Museum Assistant (Seasonal)
The Florence Nightingale Museum is seeking a Temporary Museum Assistant. The role will primarily be involved in admissions and retail activities, but may also have the opportunity to get involved in leading short talks and tours and supporting other areas of the museum operation. Past experience in customer service and sales could be advantageous, particularly if this experience was gained via working in a museum or visitor attraction.
It is anticipated that this role will work Sundays and Mondays, although additional hours may also be available subject to the needs of the business. Initially this position is offered on a temporary basis, with the contract offered running through to 15 January 2019.
Interviews will be on Thursday 4 and Friday 5 October 2018. Please state your availability for interview in your application which is via CV and covering letter. Applications close at 8 am on Monday 1 October 2018. Please send your application to email@example.com
1 or 2 4-hour shifts per week (min 3 months)
These are unpaid roles based at the Florence Nightingale Museum (travel Zone 1) but you should also be willing to work as required at outreach events across Lambeth borough. A regular pattern of working days is preferred with some degree of flexibility negotiable. It is preferred to work in a morning (09.00-13.00) or evening (13.00-17.00) shift. All volunteers are expected to undertake some basic object handling and public speaking training in week 1 and attend further training facilitated by the museum if required.
- Assist the Visitor Experience team by facilitating short 5 min introduction tours to visitors
- Facilitate object handling sessions with visitors (training will be provided by the museum)
- Assist the learning team in setting up and clearing away school sessions.
- Help the actor interpreter with greeting school groups and crowd control in the Gallery
- Support the learning team with the facilitation of holiday activities for families
- Meet and greet visitors
- Help the museum gain an insight of its audience by encouraging visitors to take part in visitor surveys
- Assist the retail team in promoting the museum guide book to visitors
- Occasionally usher at evening events and represent the museum at outreach events off-site
- Carrying out other visitor engagement activities as required on the day (training or briefing will be provided where necessary)
Applications are invited from anyone aged 18 or over who has a serious interest in supporting the Florence Nightingale Museum. You should be able to demonstrate an interest in museums. Your application should make clear why you are interested in volunteering at the Florence Nightingale Museum, what you feel you can bring to it and what you hope to learn from it.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Florence Nightingale Museum. Please remember to send your CV with your application form to Kristin Buhnemann at firstname.lastname@example.org
Would you like to write something for our museum Blog?
Our blog takes you behind the scenes at the Florence Nightingale Museum, giving fresh insight on everything from discoveries new and old in our collection, to exhibitions, events and learning initiatives. If you would like to get in touch about guest blogging or have any questions relating to the blog please email Holly Carter-Chappell.